Saturday, December 22, 2012

2011 McManis Merlot

100% Merlot
Ripon, California
84 Points


Now in the interest of full disclosure, I had not tasted McManis wines before. As a matter of fact, I had been trying to get rid of this wine from my store.

Now those of you that know me know that I am fairly stubborn and sales sometimes dictate what I think will and won't sell in the future. Then I read up on this wine in Wine Spectator's "Top 100 Values" List and decided to taste for myself.

Vibrant red fruits such as cherry, pomegranate race to the nose with just a hint of cedar, telling me that this wine is going to be simple. In this case, simple is good in that it isn't trying to be more than what it is. It isn't blowing me away with complexity and for a wine that retails for only $8.99, it really shouldn't.

There is a little weight in the mouth with consistent flavors of Bing cherry.

Granted flavor-wise, this wine is a one trick pony, but once again, that isn't a bad thing.

I rate this wine 84 Points based on nice aromas, good weight and consistent and pleasant taste and the major fact that this wine is a value. I have tasted wines like this for more than $10 that I wouldn't rate as high as this.

Get it, know it. It is good for entertaining people or just a glass or two at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment