Thursday, November 15, 2012

2010 Bethel Heights Gewurztraminer

Eola-Amity Hills (West Salem), Oregon --Winery
Fruit sourced from the Rogue Valley (see map)
89 Points



This is my ultimate turkey wine. When I think Thanksgiving, I like Dry Riesling, I like Pinot Noir and I like Petite Sirah; but if it's available, I go for Gewurztraminer, or Gewurtz (GA-vurtz for short) every time.

This wine in particular has a great fruity-spicy nose of nutmeg, lychee blood orange, and pears. To me, on the palate, all I can think of is apple sauce being put on the table, next to the stuffing and the turkey. This wine is well balanced and ready to take on a variety of foods besides Turkey, such as Asian cuisine, Indian Cuisine, Foie Gras, Goose, Lobster, Salmon, Shrimp, and for me and this very moment... orginal Doritos!

I must show my bias in that Gewurztraminer is one of my favorite wines. It is an atypical white wine in that you think that it is a very sweet wine, but it is just a high fruit wine. It has great fruit and amazing acidity, which, in my opinion, makes it a superior wine to your everyday Chardonnays and Pinot Grigios.

I highly recommend this wine and know you will fall in love with it as much as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment